After many months of delays to this Outline Planning Application…
The SCDC Planning Committee met on Wednesday 9 August to determine the application to build up to 110 houses on the water meadows between Cox’s Drove and Teversham Road. Despite having been refused on Appeal last year, the Planning Committee approved permission for this application. Members of SFF were present at the meeting and were very unhappy at the way the meeting was conducted and are now taking advice on how and what to do next. We shall keep you informed of developments as they occur.
You may recall that the application was dismissed at appeal last year The Inspector said in his report dismissing the Appeal “that I cannot have any certainty that the appeal proposal would result in an acceptable development for future residents to live in. I do not consider that this matter could appropriately be addressed by any planning conditions I could impose.”
Castlefield presented a last minute document to the Legal Officer at South Cambs on Tuesday evening 8 August. This document supposedly addressed the way the open spaces, drainage problems etc would be addressed thus overcoming the Inspector’s reason for dismissing the Appeal. The existence of the document came to light by chance during the meeting on 9 August and had not been seen by the members of the Planning Committee or Fulbourn Parish Council. The planning meeting was adjourned for a very short period to allow the members of the Planning Committee and public present to see the document. Although SFF and the Parish Council do not believe the document addresses the issues relating to the open spaces, the Planning Committee approved the application by 8 votes to 4.
The document states a management firm will be responsible for the open spaces and the costs will be borne by all the residents of the estate which includes 30% avoidable housing. Should the management company no longer exist, then the residents will be solely responsible.
– – –
SFF letter delivered to ALL Councillors a week prior to the above meeting
Newspaper article, 17/8 following the planning meeting, regarding the lack of a “5 year housing land supply agreed document” and the way the developers are getting around the council through the back door…. follow up on 21/8/17
– – –
Not so Good News, On 30th January 2017 we have heard that Castlefield International Ltd have sought Outline planning permission for the same 110 houses again – just 3 months later after having lost an Appeal; this was following the councils original unanimous rejection to the application back in Aug 2015. See SCambs website
SFF and Fulbourn PC have confirmed that the comments deadline has been changed to Friday 17th March – but it is still not too late to write in now – all letters will be considered – says John Williams, Fulbourn councillor.
We are initially reminded that this is a New Planning Application and it will of course be regarded as NEW – even though much of the detail has stayed the same. So in many cases you could submit the same comments letter that you may have done previously. However there is new content in the new application and of course time and legislation have moved on, so it is worth revisiting the new application with respect to the original one and comparing the two.
Castlefields International Ltd, do of course argue where it suits them, that the previous Appeal Inspector’s judgement is “case” law, as they discuss the points won and lost at the Appeal in their numerous documents. This may or may not hold weight with the new planning committee – just be aware.
There are quite a few errors and (deliberate) omissions within the Castlefield International Ltd’s submission that our SFF team have seen – please include these as you see fit.
Good News, On 3rd November we heard that …
The Appeal was dismissed = Fulbourn’s fields saved!
“We are delighted that the Appeal has been refused. This saves green fields which are of great importance to the people of Fulbourn,”
The last para of the judgement said:
- My overall conclusion, therefore, is that the appeal proposal would be in conflict with the development plan and would not be sustainable development. The adverse impacts of the proposed development would significantly and demonstrably outweigh the benefits which would arise from this development and I therefore conclude that this appeal should be dismissed.
For further details and to download the full Appeal Decision, click on the Planning Inspectorate website
See article in the Cambridge Evening News here
The last … fundraising activity
19th Nov: Bring & Buy Bazaar – from: 10am – 12.30pm, The Swifts, Haggis Gap
SAD NEWS – George Crutcher, our planning expert died on 15 Oct 2016
The Public Inquiry ended on 22 September, having lasted 7 full days – the original estimate was for a 3 day inquiry.
Save Fulbourn’s Fields, Fulbourn Forum and the Parish Council were represented at the Inquiry by George Crutcher, formally as a “Rule 6” party called Fulbourn Parish
For a full review of all that has been done on your behalf click here for:
- our planning consultants original proof of evidence
- and his final Closing Submissions
- supporting Proofs of Evidence from (RC / AA / DC / JW)
- SCDC’s Closing Submissions
- 7 day precis of the Inquiry events
Recent Fundraising Activities
14th May: Pop Up Café at Poor Well
27th June: Ice Cream Stall at Fulbourn Feast
17th July: Teddy Bears Picnic 2– 4pm
and for the adults on the same day but later on …
17th July: Two Short Fulbourn Walks (ending with Pimms)
24th Sept: Coffee Morning – “Buns and Beverages” and review of the Inquiry
19th Nov: Bring & Buy Bazaar – from: 10am – 12.30pm, The Swifts, Haggis Gap
URGENT NEWS ABOUT THE FUTURE OF FULBOURN – August 2016
110 big houses behind Cow Lane/Teversham Road? We must keep saying NO! Castlefield (Hutchison Whampoa) have appealed, and there will be a Public Inquiry in September 2016, before a Government Inspector. South Cambridgeshire District Council will be defending their unanimous decision (in August 2015) to reject this application. They recognise that this housing estate, if ever approved, would spell the end of Fulbourn as a village. But the stakes are high. If the Inspector, under pressure to meet national housing targets, over-rules all the local objections, then these 110 houses will be built, with disastrous consequences for Poor Well and for the whole environment of this part of Fulbourn’s Conservation Area. Fulbourn would never be the same again, because this housing estate would set a precedent for others around our village. There are very strong technical arguments against allowing this estate, which is on wet land (formerly Green Belt), requires duckboards for pedestrian access, and poses a huge threat to the aquifers and the chalk stream and the wildlife, with a real risk of local flooding. But the village (not just SCDC) needs to make these arguments effectively in September. Otherwise, all will be lost. Save Fulbourn’s Fields is in the vanguard of this effort, because we passionately believe that this huge urban housing estate is wrong. We have already raised significant funds. But more is needed for the professional advice which is essential, if Fulbourn is to succeed at a National Inquiry of this kind. So please … Come along to our POP UP CAFÉ FUNDRAISER on Sat 14th May 2016 to hear more. or Donate to our Campaign, via cheque or internet, click here for more details.
SCDC Planning Meeting today (5th August 2015) The Application was refused by a unanimous vote…. see the SCDC website
Here’s another photo of a school group in Poor Well, enjoying the natural environment (in the rain!). [2nd June 2015] This is the SECOND school group today….more than 30 children , plus the usual adults and dogs. At this time of year there are at least 1000 visits a month.Hence my annual average of 750 per month. All this would be ruined if the new Estate ever went ahead. Latest delay – related to change in title of Application from “.. one access point” to “… consideration of access points” Please respond by 27th May 2015 Further School trip (14/4/2015) and Poor Well photo taken 6th April – One muntjac and two ducks (see other photos) Funding the Campaign. “Your help is needed” … now that the “SFF’ bank account is fully open. Further photograph below taken 24th March, of a group of schoolchildren enjoying the village amenities; no doubt checking for great crested newts in the many ponds and springs of Poor Well. (There would be 50 houses in the field behind, if the planning decision goes ahead)